We always buy the boxed granola from the supermarket and it usually costs a good £2+ and half the time there isn't enough fruit or nuts for my liking...so I thought I am going to make my own and pimp it with lots of yummy nuts, seeds and fruit. This one is a slight adaptation of a recipe I found for plain granola on pinterest the other week.
This is barely even a recipe, just a combining of good things! So if you want to change up the flavours go ahead, I'm sure I will be making a variety of versions for years to come...
- 3 cups of Oats
- 1/2 cup of Seeds/Chopped Nuts
- 1/4 cup of plain Oil
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Honey (or I might try Maple Syrup next time)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Chopped Dried Apple (or any other fruit)
- Preheat oven to 190c and lightly grease a large baking tray.
- Combine the Oats and Seeds/Nuts in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan gently heat the Oil, Brown Sugar and Honey. Bring to a boil and turn off.
- Add the Cinnamon and Vanilla to the warm oil/sugar/honey. Stir well and enjoy the gorgeous aroma!
- Pour the mixture onto the oats/seed/nut mix and stir thoroughly until everything is coated.
- Spread over the baking tray and pop into the oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and turn the granola.
- Put the granola back in the oven and turn the oven off. Leave the granola in the oven until completely cool, the residual heat dries out the mix to make it lovely and crisp.
- Once cool add the Dried Apple before putting your granola in an airtight container.
You can mix this up before bed and leave it overnight so you can wake up to amazing homemade granola for breakfast...yum. I love it with fresh fruit and yogurt with the granola on top. But it's just as great with cold milk or on ice cream as a semi-healthy dessert! Enjoy!x
|all images copyright littletree designs|