It's almost time for the big day and if like me your after something a bit different for your christmas breakfast then give these muffins a go! Or if you aren't the biggest fan of mince pies they would make a great alternative but still packed with all the taste of christmas...this recipe was a bit mix and match from my favourite muffin book but they turned out so well I had to share it with you!
- 9oz Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 3oz Caster Sugar
- 2oz Soft Brown Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Egg - lightly whisked
- 8 floz Milk
- 3oz Melted Butter or Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
- 2 large handfuls of Dried Cranberries
- Zest of 1 small Orange
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar and 1/2tsp Mixed Spice mixed in a small bowl for the topping
- Preheat your oven to 190c and line a 12 hole muffin tin.
- In a large bowl combine the Flour, Baking Powder, both Sugars, Salt and Spice. Stir until well combined, break up any large chunks of brown sugar.
- Roughly chop the Dried Cranberries and add to the dry flour mix with the Orange zest.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add your Egg, Milk and melted butter/oil.
- Stir until just combined, the mix will look lumpy so don't panic!
- Divide the mix equally between the muffin cases and then sprinkle on the Brown Sugar and Spice topping.
- Pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and resist if you can!
These would be lovely soft and warm from the oven on Christmas morning...